We have kicked off American Heart Month with Go Red for Women to support heart disease and stroke — thank you to all for wearing red to support this important cause! Here are some of the pictures that you posted to facebook for GoRead Day.
We now know prevention is key! From last week’s post, we know eating healthy is a great way to help keep heart disease and stroke at bay. Today, I’m sharing a Heart Healthy Recipe from my own kitchen. This recipe is a new twist on stir fry and is filled with foods and spices all good for your body.
Cauliflower Rice Stir Fry Recipe
This recipe is one of my favorites because you don’t feel bloated after — low-carb, veggie loaded, filled with spices (turmeric, fennel seeds & ginger) that keep your heart healthy, making this a great go-to Heart Healthy Recipe. Plus, it’s fast and budget friendly (cost $23.68 all from Trader Joe’s)!
Turmeric has 24 anti-inflammatory compounds, and fennel seeds have flavonoids (antioxidants that help zap harmful radicals in our bodies). Ginger helps the body absorb nutrients and has anti-inflammatory properties as well. Instead of rice this recipe is used with cauliflower rice — Trader Joe’s.
Makes 6 Servings (about 1 cup each)
Prep. time: 5-10 min.
Cook time: 20 min.
- ginger (2 tbsp.)
- turmeric (1 tbsp.)
- fennel seed (1 tbsp.)
- broccoli (1 head)
- 1 lb. of frozen shrimp (or protein of choice)
- 2 packages of Trader Joe’s Organic Cauliflower Rice
- ghee or coconut oil (used as a cooking oil)**
- salt (2 tsp.)
- pepper (optional)
* Trader Joe’s sells asparagus & mixed veggies sauté (already cut –make it easy on yourself!)
** when heating oils for cooking as in olive oil there is a smoke point, when reached can be unhealthy for you. Ghee and coconut oil are great alternative due to their higher smoke point and are saturated fat (good fat) and add more flavor. Check out this Ultimate Guide to Cooking Oil to learn more about which oils to use and when.
- Cut broccoli, asparagus, & mushrooms (or open the package of the cut veggies)
- Dice ginger & onions
- Heat in skillet ghee or coconut oil
- Add onions & garlic to sauté
- Add broccoli, asparagus & mushrooms
- Stir the veggies for about 2-3 mins.
- Add the frozen cauliflower rice
- Mix until the cauliflower rice water has evaporated
- Add the turmeric, fennel seed, salt, & pepper
- Let it cool and enjoy!