Have you signed up to walk around Lake Merrit this Saturday at 9am? If not, check out our awesome Alameda Health System team page and get yourself signed up right now! You can also arrive a bit early tomorrow morning and sign yourself up right before walk-time. Come be a part of this annual community event. We’ll celebrate in Snow Park at the end of the walk!
Walking raises awareness about the seriousness and severity of this (often) preventable disease. By creating awareness and raising funds for education and research, you could be helping someone on the brink of diabetes prevent the disease from taking over their lives.
The Step Out event has been taking place for more than 20 years and has raised more than $175,000,000 to Stop Diabetes! More than 120,000 participants from 120 walk events across the country came together last year to raise over $24 million.
Facts about Diabetes:
Diabetes is a serious chronic illness that is affecting a huge swath of our population. It almost never exists by itself; rather, it often cascades into other illnesses or comorbidities, including:
- Cardiovascular Disease Death
- Heart Attack
- Blindness and Eye Problems
- Kidney Disease
For more detailed information about these diseases and conditions and how they relate to diabetes, follow this link.
Other compelling statistics about the prevalence and cost of this disease (taken from diabetes.org):
- Every 17 seconds, someone is diagnosed with diabetes.
- Diabetes causes more deaths a year than breast cancer and AIDS combined.
- Nearly 30 million children and adults in the United States have diabetes.
- Another 86 million Americans have prediabetes and are at risk for developing type 2 diabetes.
- The American Diabetes Association estimates that the total national cost of diagnosed diabetes in the United States is $245 billion.
- After adjusting for population age and sex differences, average medical expenditures among people with diagnosed diabetes were 2.3 times higher than what expenditures would be in the absence of diabetes.
Alameda Health System Team
Walks for Alameda Health System get to wear an awesome AHS tee shirt to represent our organization and all the great work we do at the hospitals and clinics to help our diabetic and prediabetic patients.
If you’re a diabetes educator at AHS, this walk’s for you too! Thanks for all the important work you do for our community!
Sweet Revenge: Follow Dr. Robert Lustig, our very vocal Bay Area champion against the negative health effects of too much dietary sugar on our local public radio station KQED.