This week’s winner for the diabetes challenge is Cecilie Rose from Highland Hospital. Her delicious soup recipe is perfect for a warm winter meal. I love slow-cooker recipes!
This soup is perfect for a rainy day. This recipe serves about 4 people. Using the slow cooker allows you to go out and get exercise while the slow cooker does all the work!
- 1 -1/4 cup dried thin red lentils (if you use thicker lentils, soak overnight and drain)
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced no salt added tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 cup fresh green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces. (do not use frozen or canned. They do not taste as good and contain added salt)
- 3 +/- 1 cups water
- 1 Knorr® Vegetarian Vegetable Bouillon Cube, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons Berbere spice mix
Optional ingredients: veggies such as sweet potatoes or celery that will not fall apart when cooked a long time.
Put all ingredients (including optional extra veggies) in slow cooker except green beans and spinach. Mix well.
Turn slow cooker on high.
After about 2 hours, add chopped beans and stir once.
After about 3.75 hours, add chopped spinach and stir.
Total cook time 4 hours