As promised, a microwave lunch post — not the kind in the frozen section!
So we’ve covered the 5 Easy Steps to Microwave Gourmet: Tear, Rinse, Cover, Nuke, Dress it up.
Today’s recipe is a simple and delicious way to enjoy a break room lunch (or breakfast!), save money, and make a healthy choice.
Green Eggs and Ham:
(you might consider cracking the egg and putting it in a container to bring with you to work)
- medium glass bowl
- dinner plate
- 7 to 10 kale leaves, ribbed, and torn OR two big fists full of baby spinach
- 1 egg (2 if you’re hungry)
- 3 pcs Canadian style turkey bacon
- Real salt or sea salt
- ghee (about a tsp)
- (optional) grated hard cheese like Parmesan or Romano
- In your glass (not plastic) break room bowl, rinse greens, leaving a small amount of water in the bowl — not too much!
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt
- Cover with your glass break room plate
- Microwave for 10 to 30 seconds, depending on how powerful your microwave is — we’re not going for mushy, just softened
- While that’s going, cut up the Canadian bacon into small pieces
- Pull out the greens, stir in ghee, Canadian bacon, and egg (beating the egg first might make this part a little easier)
- Cover again with plate and nuke for 1 to 2 minutes, or until done and not runny
- mix in the cheese while it’s still hot
- Enjoy your veggie and protein-filled lunch!
I love this recipe, and you can do so many things with eggs in a microwave if you can’t get to a stove top and are sick of hard boiled. I even found this awesome looking idea for a quick wholesome meal from A Veggie Venture. Be creative! Go forth and conquer the office break room!