I have to say that I’m in love with these bite-sized beauties. I can’t wait to have a party and try stuffing all kinds of new fun recipes into little cucumber cups. Chicken salad was merely my first run. There are countless fun appetizer possibilities using this self-contained genius idea (which I found here)! This time, I threw away the centers without thinking. Next time, I’m saving them for a smoothie and will report back my findings!
I made these for our first Healthy Holiday Meal Competition at ACMC, and they were a big hit. I’ll be reporting the winning recipes for all three events once we get through them. Stay tuned for that!
- 2 chicken breasts (I bought a roasted chicken and used the white meat and will eat the dark meat for dinner tonight!)
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 pink lady apple, diced
- ½ small red onion, diced
- 2 tbs sunflower seeds
- 2 tbs pecan pieces
- 1 tbs gogi berries
- Juice of one lemon, separated into 2 halves
- Paprika to taste
- Garlic powder to taste
- ¼ to ½ cup 2% Greek yogurt (to taste)
- ¼ to ½ cup Dijon mustard (to taste)
- 2 or 3 large cucumbers
- Mix all ingredients above except cucumbers and ½ lemon juice in a large bowl until combined
- Slice cucumbers into about 1 inch slices
- Scoop out centers of each piece to create a tiny cucumber cup
- Squeeze a little lemon into each “cup”
- Using a fork or spoon, place a bite sized portion of chicken salad into each “cup”
- Sprinkle a bit of paprika over the top for color
Soon I’ll be trying this with smoked salmon salad, and I might even try something sweet. We shall see!