This savory treat will wow your taste buds and impress even the most skeptical critic of gluten-free baked goods. Easy to make and quick to bake, this vegan treat works as breakfast or as a snack. Top it with a dollop of hummus, almond butter, or greek yogurt to add some protein into the mix, and you have yourself a wholesome and delicious treat!
G/F Zucchini (mini*) Muffins
(recipe adapted from http://www.Cleanprogram.com)*As a side note, I love to make mini-muffins, because you can control your portion better –plus they’re just so cute. Eat about three minis for a snack, or one large muffin if you don’t have a mini-tin.
- 2 cups of almond flour/meal (or you can try 1 cup almond, 1 cup garbanzo flour an cut back the bake time by 5 minutes)
- Chia or flax seed egg replacer (2 tablespoons of chia/flax soaked in 6 tablespoons of water for 15 minutes)
- 1 heaping cup of grated zucchini
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1 large whole green onion (or more if you want more onion flavor)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil, melted gently
- Splash of unsweetened almond milk as needed
- Preheat oven to 425 and lightly grease a muffin tin with coconut oil or line with papers.
- Grate zucchini until you have one overflowing cup and place in a medium sized bowl with chopped spinach.
- Finley chop green onion, add to bowl
- Melt coconut oil over medium heat on the stove until liquid. Don’t forget to lick the spoon to get in those beautifying and energizing essential fats!
- Add the almond meal/flour, salt, baking soda, garlic powder, and cinnamon to the shredded zucchini,spinach, and onion and mix (with your hands!).
- Add the chia/flax “egg”, liquid coconut oil and a splash of nut or coconut milk if needed to make it in to a moist muffin batter.
- Fill (greased or lined) muffin tin, about 3/4 full.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when poked in the middle of the muffin.