Hi Passport to A Healthy Me! readers. My name is Alice and I am the new intern in the Wellness Program at ACMC. I will be guest blogging today and part of July. Here at ACMC, we are having lunch time classes to talk about and taste healthy food. Here is some of the information we covered this week at our Healthy Snacks Workshop with Sara Wahlin, an R.D. active in the Wellness Program. (ACMC folks, don’t forget to check out our calendars for more info on the classes! Lots coming up in July and August!)
Healthy snacks can help you feel ready to take on the world, while snacks without the right balance of nutrients can make you feel left in the dust! Here are 5 helpful hints for snacking smart and an easy, delicious recipe that’s sure to please almost any palate.
1. Choose snacks that have a balance between protein, carbohydrates and fats.
-1 medium sized apple or banana (carb) with peanut butter (protein and fat).
-1 cup raw veggies (carb) & ½ cup black bean dip (protein) (recipe below)
2. Eating every 3-4 hours can help stabilize blood sugars and energy levels throughout the day.
3. Plan your snacks ahead. Don’t wait to make a decision about what to eat when you’re too hungry. Not having the healthy snacks on hand often leads to less nutritious (or impulsive) snack choices.
4. Size is important when choosing a snack. Use baggies or containers to separate crackers or nuts from the larger container into individual servings so that you aren’t deciding in the moment how much to eat. Or buy snacks that are intended to be single servings. Also, does your snack need to tide you over for a short or long time? You can answer this question by thinking about what the rest of the day has in store for you!
5. Listen to your body! Are you really hungry? Snacking can be related to being bored, tired, or even thirsty. You might also be snacking to get your mind off of something unrelated to food.
Enjoy this super simple recipe that Sara brought with her to our Healthy Snacks Workshop!
Easy Black Bean Dip Recipe
- 1 can (16 oz) Refried Black Beans
- ½ cup Salsa
- 1 Tbsp Cilantro, minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- Chili Powder (1tsp. or to taste)
- Put all ingredients into a bowl and mix well with a spoon until creamy and smooth.
- Separate into four ½ cup servings.
- Enjoy with whole grain chips/crackers or veggies.
Serving size: ½ cup, Fat: less than 1g, Carbohydrates: 5g, Protein: 2g
Let us know when you try the recipe and what you think!